The Whangarei Leader has a smart meter letter in its February 16 2016 edition.The letter was written by Clare Swinney who has been measuring smart meter emissions at homes where they have been installed in the city. You may read the Whangarei Leader smart meter letter at the link below.
NB: Click on the image to make it larger.
Smart meters are NOT compulsory in NZ
Please note that while staff from some electricity companies have been telling their customers that smart meters are compulsory or are some sort of government requirement, this is NOT true. (There is more information about this issue at this link ) If you do not want a smart meter because you are concerned about the higher bills that could follow a smart meter installation, or Time of Use pricing, many people in NZ are successfully refusing to have a smart meter installed using the techniques described at this link
If you would like to keep up to date with information about electromagnetic radiation and health, including the “smart” meter issue in NZ, please sign up to the free email list at www.stopsmartmeters.org.nz. Thank you
If you have not already seen the award winning smart meter documentary Take Back Your Power you can now watch this great film for FREE (until December 2).
NB: If you have already seen Take Back Your Power, please share this post through email, social media etc. to let your friend s and family know about this important issue…
PS: If you would like to keep up to date with the smart meter issue in NZ, please sign up to the free email list at www.stopsmartmeters.org.nz Thank you.
Smart meters and EMR in general recently featured on the Hamilton-bsed community radio show “From the Fringes” hosted by Jack Geiler.
Environmental lawyer Sue Grey was recently interviewed and also Katherine Smith.
Directions on how to find these programmes are below
Click on Podcasts for search for the above program and dates.
Go to the drop down menu for ‘From the Fringes’ programmes.
Guest speakers Sue Grey was on 01 Sept. and Katherine Smith on 14th Oct.
Both programs can be re listened to and are also downloadable.
Please note that there has been recent TV coverage in NZ of the smart meter issue and you can see this at the links below:
Environmental lawyer Sue Grey talks about smart meters on Mainland News
To stay up to date with the smart meter issue in NZ, please join the free email list at www.stopsmartmeters.org.nz Thank you!
The WellFest expos http://wellfest.co.nz/ feature a large variety of health-related exhibitors, plus food court, free seminars and a special Kids Zone with entertainers. The WellFest events are high quality events and very enjoyable.
This year’s Auckland WellFest event takes place on September 20-21.
On Saturday September 20 from 2.15 to 2.45 pm, Katherine Smith, founder of www.stopsmartmeters.org.nz will speak at WellFest’s Seminar Room 5 about smart meters and health and share vital information to help you to protect yourself and your family.
Site coordinator’s note: The report below details the symptoms developed after a “smart meter” installation in a NZ home.
“My effects since the smart meter was installed in June 2011:
1. Since having the meter installed I often lay awake for several (2 – 4) hours at a time trying to get to sleep; my insomnia is much worse and when I do sleep it is very broken – often waking up to 6 -10 times a night.
2. Continual fatigue & lethargy – sometimes extreme; I cannot remember the last time I felt enthused or energetic or even ‘well.’ I have trouble completing even simple housework due to absolutely no motivation and will put off simple chores for weeks at a time due to lethargy.
3. Burning and itching skin – I had this for years if I came in to close proximity of something with strong EMF’s. I originally noted it about 20 years ago on visiting a friend who ran a small pizza parlour. EVERY time I went there my forearms & wrists would burn and itch so badly that I would be unable to not scratch or rub them and I would end up drawing blood it would be so intense. I would have to go home and put them under cold running water for about 10 minutes. It took a few times before I realised it was the EMF’s from the Pizza ovens. This has only occurred intermittently up until I had the smart meter installed. Now it happens regularly – every day and when I get in to bed (my bedhead is about 3-4 metres from the meter) my arms and wrists now slightly burn and tingle continuously; the soles of my feet tingle, burn and itch – every night. It is mostly ok to tolerable, but always there and noticeable. On occasion my feet have become so unbearable I have had to get up and go outside in the middle of the night and rub my feet on the grass for up to 10 minutes to relieve the extreme discomfort. I don’t know how I knew to do this – it was just an instinctive thing I think – it seems to ‘ground’ my body somehow…
4. Heart palpitations/fluttering’s and arrhythmia; never had this issue before but it has developed since the meter was installed. The doctor listened to my heart some time ago and said it sounded fine and did nothing further. I have ‘fluttering’ feelings in my heart and pulse almost every night now.
5. Every night when I lay down I can hear my pulse in my ears and inside my head; its hard to describe but sounds like the blood ‘squelching’ through the veins in my upper neck – sorry about the description!! :)) Its not nice and also keeps me awake. I do worry about it as sometimes I feel or worry/wonder if I’m going to have a heart attack right there in my bed. This began after the meter was installed.
6. Inability to concentrate and forgetfulness – sometimes I cannot remember something that should be second nature such as the name of a suburb or street that I frequent every day or even a friend’s name that I see often!! It is quite scary how this has developed so rapidly in the last 12+ months. Headaches, not intense but niggly and frequent. And no, I haven’t got Alzheimers.
7. Depression; which I have suffered on and off for most of my adult life so I cannot directly attribute it to the meter but I have had much more of a ‘low’ mood and ‘unhappiness’ since the meter was installed.
8. Soreness around the base of the back of my neck – as if my head is somehow too heavy!!
– Name supplied (but withheld for privacy reasons.)
NB: Most people do not suffer from such severe symptoms after a “smart meter” installation; many may have no apparent symptoms; however the above description shows how badly “smart meters” can affect some people. Even if your own health is not affected by a “smart meter” in your home, the “smart meter” may affect neighbours who may be more sensitive, especially if your homes are in close proximity.
(Note from website coordinator: All correspondence received through the Contact form on this site is treated in confidence. Comments are posted on this site only with the permission of their author. The site coordinator does not have any financial interest in any electricity company.)
Paul Waddell, who runs the business SafeSpace ( www.safespace.net.nz ) which assesses EMR pollution in homes and other environments (and gives advice on remediation) will be giving a talk and demonstration at the Green Living Show at 3 pm on Sunday June 30.
The show will be held at the ASB Showgrounds, 217 Greenlane West, Greenlane, Auckland, New Zealand.
The show runs from 10am to 5pm Saturday June 29 and Sunday June 30.
In addition to Paul Waddell, there is a great line up of speakers and workshops on subjects ranging from making delicious organic food and drinks (with options for vegetarians and omnivores) to electric cars and home renovation and construction. More details may be seen here: http://www.organicexpo.co.nz/seminars-demos/